The recently established Leacross Foundation Endowment compliments the training capabilities of the Biomedical Engineering Department at Canada’s premier University of Ottawa Heart Institute, offering training fellowships to female undergraduate and graduate biomedical engineers as well as biomedical technicians and technologists as a means of support in community, education, and encouraging endeavors for women. The opportunity for training in a complex, state of the art, exciting and dynamic medical environment is an invaluable opportunity for trainees to explore, practice, and hone their biomedical engineering skills.
One of the recipients was Aleksandra Baykova, who is finishing her degree in Biomedical Engineering. Some of her responsibilities at the Ottawa Heart Institute during the summer of 2011 were:
- Medical technology assessment, deployment, and installation
- Patient/staff safety initiatives and risk management
- Hands-on bench and bedside experience with a variety of Class I through IV devices
- Interface of instrumentation with computer systems and customized software for control, data acquisition and analysis
- Participation in the calibration of sophisticated electromedical systems including patient monitoring devices, anesthesia systems, infusion devices, thermometers, etc.
- Explored several areas including cardiac patient wards, cardiac operating rooms, Cardiac Intensive Care Units and specialized interventional suites under Biomedical Engineer/Technologist supervision
- Active participation in training and education including hemodynamics, intra-aortic balloon pump training, flow cytometry, critical care response training, etc.
- Research and development under the supervision of a Biomedical Engineering Technologist
Student training covers a wide variety of medical devices subjects:
- In vitro/in vivo
- Clinical studies
- Regulations and standards
TIMOTHY J. ZAKUTNEY, MHSc, PEng, CCE
Instructor, Department of Systems and Computer Engineering
Manager, Biomedical Engineering
University of Ottawa Heart Institute
40 Ruskin Street Room · Ottawa, ON · K1Y 4W7 · CANADA
T 613.798.5555 Ext 16773